About
A Gothic Revival church, built 1867 to the designs of Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon. It was consecrated by Bishop William Alexander, the husband of Cecil Frances Alexander, the famous hymn writer, hymns which include: All things Bright and Beautiful : There is a green Hill far away, and Once in Royal David's City.
The site was donated by Mr James Murray of Caw House, a direct descendant of Colonel Adam Murray, who commanded the Protestant army at the Siege of Derry in 1659.
The cost of the new church was approximately £5,500 and had a seating capacity of approximately 450 people. The church is 100 feet in length, by 60 feet in breadth by 60 feet high (inside the roof)
The church is a good example of Neo-Gothic style with red granite capitals and walls of local whinstone. Neo-Gothic is a revival of Gothic architecture.







