in partnership with
25A Bishop Street, Derry~Londonderry, BT48 6PR
The Freemasons’ Hall, Bishop Street, Londonderry, is a Grade 2 Georgian listed building, built by the then Church of Ireland (Anglican) Bishop of Derry, William Barnard, in 1761. It was constructed on the site of an old Augustinian Convent but records would indicate there was a religious building (either a church or monastery) situated here as far back as 575AD. It was the official residence of the Bishop of Derry (later Derry & Raphoe) until 1946 when a new See House was built near Culmore on the outskirts of the city, and the property was purchased by Freemasons. The McCurdy Room is named after one of the Brethren who donated £6000 to help fund renovations. The building has been a working Masonic Temple ever since. Famous past residents include the Earl Bishop, Frederick Hervey (1768-1803) and the hymn writer Mrs Cecil Frances Alexander (1867-1896).
Sat: 10:00 - 16:00Sun: Closed
© 2017 Visit Derry
Visitor Centre Details