in partnership with
Upper Magazine Street, Derry~Londonderry, BT48 6HY
(028) 7131 1584
First Derry Presbyterian Church is a listed Historic Building Grade B+. The first Presbyterian Meeting House within the City Walls was constructed on this site in 1690. It was supported by a financial donation from Queen Mary in recognition of the courage shown and the sacrifices made by Presbyterians during the Siege of Derry 1688/89.The Meeting House was demolished in 1777 and construction of a new Church was completed in 1780. Major alterations took place in 1828 and 1896.The 1896 alterations included the robust coffered pine ceiling to designs of William Pinkerton. The reworking of the facade and addition of the portico took place in 1903, once more to designs of William Pinkerton. In 2002 extensive dry rot and stone damage was discovered which caused the closure of the Church for nine years. The Church reopened in May 2011 after a comprehensive and sensitive refurbishment. The ceremony for the re-opening and re-dedication of the Church and Halls attracted a large cross-community attendance. Adjoining the Church is the refurbished Blue Coat School. The school was established in 1773 for boys who sang in the choir in return for which they were boarded and received their education. Blue Coat refers to the colour of the students' uniform. This building, which was part of the refurbishment works, is now home to the Blue Coat School Heritage Centre. The facilities include audio visual presentations,information and exhibits about the history of the Church and the role of presbyterians in the Plantation and the Siege of Derry.
Sat: 11:00 - 16:00Sun: 11:30 - 12:30
© 2017 Visit Derry
Visitor Centre Details