in partnership with
59 - 61 Longtower Street, Derry~Londonderry, BT48 6QQ
(028) 7136 8491
The centre is based in a former primary school (1833-1985) known locally as the wee nuns. The building was derelict for some years after the closure until 2002 but was redeveloped as a museum dedicated to St. Columba by dint of the work of a local committee and support from the Lottery, Tourism NI and Derry City Council. The Museum explores the early monastic foundation of the city in the sixth century and its links with St. Columba. It also celebrates the wider history and heritage of the Saint, his lasting legacy to art and literature and impact upon early medieval religious and political life across Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales and mainland Europe. It houses a wonderful collection of valuable exhibits and manuscripts, including a facsimile copy of the Book of Kells, some 13th century manuscripts as well as some artifacts relating to the old school. The centre has a range of interactive screens, large screen loop projection and fee wi-fi throughout the building.
Sat: 10:00 - 17:30Sun: 12:30 - 15:00
© 2017 Visit Derry
Visitor Centre Details